Saturday, November 8, 2008

THE LESSONS

THE LESSONS
I video-taped Melissa's lesson, then she taped mine. Half of hers was in the dark because apparently the fairground arena lights on a timer and that time is 5 PM even though it's dark by 4:30. She still had a good lesson, even in the dark and we have all that the instructor said on the video.My lesson was amazing. All we worked on was "forward" but it was awesome. She said right now for me forward=fast. She said she didn't think she'd ever told someone that before, haha. Yup, Dazzle is special like that, haha. She told me to just sit there, not to push with my seat or use leg every stride to push her forward. She has gotten desensitized and is just going slower and slower, which I knew. She said let her get too slow at the walk...then spank her with the whip until she trots and then just sit there, no pushing, etc. as her reward. Then we she gets too slow, do it again. This is pretty much what Melissa and I had been thinking, but it seemed "mean" so I was hesitant to do it. But, the instructor said this way she'll become light to the aids and eventually she won't need anything at all to stay in her gait and not be a slug. Which is exactly what we want. So, awesome lesson. I plan to get the video online eventually, I will post a link when it's there!Have a great weekend all and I hope you are having less rain than me!

No comments: